Hartford House was built in 1835 by James S. Wadsworth, the younger son
of the pioneer James Wadsworth who settled Geneseo in 1790. The house
was built from the plans of Lord Hertford's Villa in Regents Park,
London where James and his new bride Mary Craig Wharton stayed on their
honeymoon. The original house was only two stories but after the couple
had six children they “raised the roof” and put in
a third floor.
James became a Brevet Major General in the Union Army and was mortally
wounded at The Battle of the Wilderness. His statue stands on Wadsworth
Ave. at Gettysburg, and a replica of that statue now stands at the
Livingston County Courthouse just outside the gates to his historic
estate which is still inhabited by his descendants.
Other owners of the property have included the General's son
Congressman James W. Wadsworth, Sr. and his grandson U.S. Senator (and
later Congressman) James W. Wadsworth, Jr. The current owner, Corrin
Strong, is the great-great-great grandson of the General.